Thursday, January 13, 2011

Wrong Number

Something that I guess I had forgotten all about since we got over here. Hell, phone calls in general are a rarity, and if we ever do get one it comes through on our cells. In fact there have been so few that I didn't even recognize the sound of our phone. Thinking back I am not 100% sure it had ever rang before so I have a little bit of an excuse for that part. Anyway let me walk you though how this played out.

So with Ma in he kerchief and me in my cap we were all tucked away for a long winters nap. Then in the other room there arose such a clatter, I jumped from the bed to see what was the matter (that is the end of night before Christmas rendition). Some God awful beeping coming from the living room loud enough to wake both of us immediately. This wasn't like the 'other' beeps that we had found in our flat. The washer, dryer and dish washer. Oh now they are simple, 'hey over here, I am done', this was full on code brown (Monsters vs. Aliens - look it up if you don't get it). I yelled 'what is going on', Kristen said something inaudiable like 'I'm sleeping, take care of it' and went back to sleep.

So I set off out of the bedroom to find the emergency only for it to stop as soon as I got out of the bedroom. But alas there it was again, and the flashing and beeping was coming from the phone. Relief yes, the house wasn't on fire or anything. Then the immediate fear from a middle of the night phone call. I guess this was the first time this has ever happened to me, but for parents out there I think you can relate. I don't think more than 5 people even have our number, so who could it be? Here is our conversation....

Me: Hello?? (note confusion in my voice)

Other person: Que pasa? (we will call other person Paco from now on)

Me: Hello!! (note anger in my voice)

Paco: Que pasa?

Me: Wrong number!

Paco: some unidentified Spanish sentence

Me: Wrong number!!

Paco: wrong number en Mexico?

Me: no, wrong number!!!

Paco: oh I am sorry...........click (now he is speaking broken English)

I guess I was relieved at this point, but now really really confused. I mean its not easy to call internationally, much less London with its 14 number phone numbers. How any one person could be that far off on a phone # was beyond me. I spent the rest of the night tossing and turning waiting for the phone to ring again.

We keep trying to think of things that we miss about being in the States, driving, Mexican food, etc..... but have trouble thinking of things that we are happy to be without. Now I know what is top of the list. Wrong numbers and telemarketers. Enjoy your phone calls during dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment