Saturday, January 15, 2011

Busy day

Lots going on today, not much for using the weekend to sit back, relax, and recover from a long week, but would rather see everything and pass out at the end of the day rather than sit on the couch all day. Up and out early this morning for the Saturday morning ride around Richmond park. Must be back in shape now, dominated that guy with the fenders. Back home and on the road again for the real activities for the day.
First on the agenda was a trip to Canary Wharf to see the London Ice Sculpture Championship. Not knowing what to expect I guess I was a little disappointed as I had set my expectations too high. Just people carving ice. Yeah cool to see but was a pretty small competition. Looking back I guess it makes sense, there probably just aren't that many people out there that do this sort of thing. It was interesting none the less, but don't think I will be searching out another show. I am sure they weren't counting on 54 degrees today which couldn't have been helping things much.




Turned out that there was a Mexican restaurant, Wahaca,right next to the ice sculpting so we of course were obliged to try it out. Could this be the answer to my prayers? Um yeah no! Good food but just not quite what I am looking for. There seems to be a trend here for that the Mexican restaurants try to do some kind of Mexican/Spanish fusion. Instead of what we are used to they keep trying to turn it into tapas. After we had ate a waiter walked past with a giant burrito, that looked so good, I almost cried. So that makes it 0-5, but I am not giving up hope.


We then headed out to the London bike show. They have been advertising this for like 3 months so I thought it had to be good. It was held in connection with the Outdoor show, and the London Boat Show. Turns out that the bike part was the least impressive (size-wise) but still super cool. I was kinda like a kid in a toy store, and Kristen seemed less than impressed so I guess it was good that she had tea planned with some of her sorority sisters. Once she left I spent the next couple of hours just wandering around taking it all in. They had it all, and I could have spent days just staring at bikes. But wait there is more! The whole production was just a bit more than we are used to in Tulsa. Turns out that to boats, are super popular here, understandably so, since we are on an island.

They had constructed a huge pool and had wakeboarding, kayak, and canoe exhibitions, which were a good rest before the 'MAIN ATTRACTION'. The boat show was well more of a yacht show. No pontoons or bass boats, we are talking super yachts, and huge sail boats. Earlier in the week I couldn't help but wonder why the show ran for an entire week. I soon knew why. There were literally 1,000s of boats every shape and size. With 100 ft. plus yachts on hand I wasn't much for spending my time looking at anything under 75ft. Unfortunately you had to be an invited guest to tour the biggest, and visit the VIP lounges. Still I saw enough to conclude that I need to win the lottery.

Cervelo R5 CA Limited Edition. 12lbs, $24,000 Worth it?



85ft, $4,000,000 Worth it?
Banking district at night, coming home from the Bike Show

No comments:

Post a Comment