Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A little expedition

With nothing on the schedule today we headed out to Sloan Square to see what we could see. Kristen had been there before, but other than stopping there daily on my way into work, I had never been there. We ended up walking from there to Chelsea, and then all the way to West Kensington. Probably doesn't mean much but it was quite a walk. Other than the giant Peter Jones it was pretty much the same stores throughout London. What is really interesting to me is how many of the same stores show up within every borough, or even every couple of blocks. Seems a little counterintuitive to me but I am no marketing genius. You can't walk more than a half mile without seeing a Starbucks, Costa Coffee, Pret a Manger, and Eat. And they are always right next to each other. Strange indeed.


One thing that continues to amaze me is the size of department stores. I guess it makes sense when you live in a city of 7.5 million people but these things are just crazy. We went to Peter Jones today, and it had just about everything you could think of. 7 floors...there was no way we were going to get all the way through it. Wanted to go to the Haberdashery but left for lunch instead. Its almost as if they haven't really captured the idea of malls and just put everything into one store. They all have their own little areas for the different brands, restaurants, grocery stores, you could even buy cars at Harrods. They had to hand out maps so you know how to get around. In a store called Selfridges, there was a line to get into the Louis Vuitton store that was literally out the door. Can't imagine why anyone would be so desperate to spend that kind of money that they would wait in line for hours.

On the way home today I came to the conclusion that my attitude/feelings have a direct correlation with the temperature. It might be more closely linked to wind chill but you get the point. The tipping point has to be around 35. We left the house this morning 39 and sunny, but by the time we were walking home the sun had dropped below the houses, and it was full on freezing. I am sure I am being a little dramatic but at that point it didn't matter. I was cranky like a old lady, or little kid without his blanky.

Made stir fry tonight, can't take all the credit, Tesco did most of the work.





No comments:

Post a Comment