Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Adventure home

Ended up having quite an adventure on the way home tonight. Usually when I tell Kristen that it means that my journey went all to shit and ended up taking an hour too long or something, but this time it was an positive experience. As a side note, I just rewrote the sentence above as the first draft I said 'amazingly positive'. Who am I kidding there is no chance a trip to Reading will be amazingly positive unless I end up getting there on a flying carpet or that dragon thing from 'the Neverending Story'. Anyway one of our tax guys lives in Uxbridge and drives in everyday. So since he was leaving I talked him into giving me a ride half way so Slough. Now Slough in and of itself isn't too exciting, but bear in mind my usual day is train work train eat sleep I was pretty pumped. Looked a lot like outskirts of London except for the British Burger King headquarters, "Home of the Whopper". Best of all I got to ride in a car. I can count the times I have been in a car since I have been here on one hand so it was a rare treat. Driving on the wrong side of the road I only had two or three code brown moments so that was good. The guy driving thought I was a huge dork every time I spazzed out thinking we were going to hit something.

From Slough we jumped on the first train back to London, but I say train loosely. Was more of a glorified subway, or maybe even an airport tram. Not sure how those are differentiated but anyway. Since we were stopping at every town anyway I decided to take a chance a catch the tube in the first town I could. Turned out an awesome move on my part. Had never been to the end of the line before. It was so sad, like a underground ghost town. There were probably only five or so people on the entire tube, and nobody at all in the car I was in. Kept waiting for a tumbleweed to blow by. But like I said great move, ended up from Ealing Broadway to Baron's Court in like 15 minutes and finished it off as the shortest journey home ever. Sadly though still an hour fifteen. Back to normal tomorrow but a break from the monotony for at least one night was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment