Monday, January 24, 2011

Tate Modern

We have been planning on going to the Tat Modern since just about our first day here, but for whatever reason kept putting it off, till now. I think part of it was we had been to so many museums already and had gotten a little burnt out. I wish we had gone earlier, as it turned out that I enjoy modern art far more than 'old' art. Not sure if any of the stories or information about some of the exhibits have made it over to the US, or not but the main reason for going as been to see Ai Weiwei's Sunflower Seeds. (more later) It is the most-visited modern art gallery in the world, with around 4.7 million visitors per year. It is based in the former Bankside Power Station, and as a 'artistic design' they retained the original shape while renovating it to an art gallery.

The entrance to the Tate Modern is through the old Turbine Hall, you can see how this could have been a power station.
Sunflower Seed is made up of over one hundred million seeds, all hand painted ceramic seeds. The say it is to make us question things. 'What does it mean to be an individual in today's society? Are we insignificant or powerless unless we act together? What do our increasing desires, materialism and number mean for society, the environment and the future?' But I just thought it was cool to look at, and the only thing it made me think was 'wow, thats a lot of seeds'. I guess I am not too philosophical.
The grey area is the seeds
Close up
Picasso

I will let you guess who's exhibit this is.
Monet

Jackson Pollock

Not sure who this was, but I just thought it looked cool.

Millennium Foot Bridge, leading to St. Paul's Cathedral. I miss driving a car, but hard to take your own picture while driving, so I guess the tube has its perks.

2 comments:

  1. Did they say how long it took to make 'seeds'? jeez.

    Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say two and a half years and 1,600 people. Not sure how you quantify that into hours for a Chinese villager, its alot. I will let you work out the math.

    ReplyDelete