Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Late Nights

I have had my share of late nights at work as of late, and I bring it up not to complain but to share the interesting things which I have occurred, or I have noticed while working.  Just so we are all in the right frame of reference here we aren't talking about having to say late at work, and still be home by dinner, we are talking LATE!!!  Anyone who knows public accounting knows what I am talking about.  So late that your elbows are sore from resting on the desk all day.  There you go, now you have the idea.

Not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but it seems like every time I stay super late the only other people at work are the other Americans.  Hopefully that doesn't' mean that we are the slowest workers, but it seems that the odds of that just 'happening' would be awfully low.

Anyway I have ended up being at work till the time when they specifically plan on people not being around.  I am talking about the time when the cleaning crews come in and they do maintenance on the building.  I feel a bit bad about what I am about to say, because these people are just doing their job, but seriously people I am freaking trying to work.  There has got to be some other place you can vacuume in the entire building other than right next to me.  And tell your friend over there with the pledge and dust rag, that she doesn't clean the desk while I am still sitting at it.  I thought I must be dreaming when she came up dusted my desk except for a little circle around my arms and computer.

But wait....since our building is being remodeled, there is construction during the night time hours.  I can tell you that someone putting in drywall screws is just about as distracting as it can ever get.

Its not all bad news though.  You are aforded a number of luxuries when you are the only one in the office.  For example any left over candy or cookies is free game.  No longer can the secretaries hoard their stash of cookies and chocolate.  Also you get a chance to enjoy the local wildlife.  What you ask?  Yeah you heard me.  Since I arrived I had heard stories and jokes about the mice in the building, but never believed it.  But yep sure enough.  You are just sitting there working, and then in the corner of your eye you see something moving, just to turn your head and catch the tail of a mouse diving into the electrical and phone outlets on the floor.  I contemplated leaving all my work out and my computer on and going home just to see if they were magical mice that would do my work for me like in the fairy tale the Elves and the Shoemaker.

Here is Piccadilly-Circus really early in the morning.  They have just redone the signs so now its more like Times Square.  I was shocked at the number of people milling around at such a late/early hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment