Sunday, August 21, 2011

Goodbye Belgium

Our last day in Brussels was a short one, but still had a few sights to see.

First was the Jubilee Park and the Triumphal Arch. Created to celebrate 50 years of Belgian independence in 1880.



Next we went to Brussels only remaining family brewery. Personally I would have expected in a country famous for beer there would have been much more but I guess it all comes down to the mighty InBev pushing all the local brewerys out. Anyway, we went to the Cantillon brewery. http://www.cantillon.be/br/3_1. Which only brews Lambic beer. Essentially, all of the CO2 escapes because it is aged in barrels, so it is a still beer. Think of beer wine and you would be pretty close to what it tasted like. Personally I was a fan, not sure how the rest of the crowd found it.




We made one last trip to the Grande Place for lunch and were off to the airport. As a final farewell to the city I polished off the last of my chocolate waffles while we were waiting for the bus.

I am not sure I got a good feel for Brussels while we were there, seemed to be one both ends of the spectrum for size a people all the time. While we got checked in and through security in about 10 minutes it took us 45 minutes to get through traffic to get to the airport. It was this type of small town/big city that kept throwing me off the whole trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment