Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Infrastructure

I can't seem to wrap my hands around just how ridiculous public transport is. I understand that the city is old and you can only do so much, but I bet that if you let people work and live in a place like Tulsa for a month they would be insanely angry with the state of transport in this city. I just don't get how everyone seemed to be completely fine with dead standstills at all times of the day whether car, or tube its always all backed up.

Today I watched people trying to get from the District line into Paddington Station to catch a train. Picture this....... its 6 o'clock, your train is leaving in 10 minutes and you think you have plenty of time. The tube pulls up the the station and you step off. Here is where it gets interesting. There is exactly 1 way into the station from the district line. Up a staircase and over a walkway over all the other tracks. So you and probably 500 others step off of the train, and onto the platform to go up said stairs. But that is where the problem is......you got off the train at the very front, and every two minutes another 500 people arrive, with just about all of them closer to the stairs than your current position. This repeats itself over and over again. I thought it was so unbelievable that I just stood and watched. For 10 minutes the people at the back of the line moved maybe 30 feet. My guess was it would take another 30 minutes to even make it into the station. Hope he didn't have dinner plans. I just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment