Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stairs

We heard about The Monument on our bus tour so we decided to visit it up close this weekend (October 30 and 31st). Mini history lesson in case you don’t know about the great fire of London. On September 2nd 1666 a fire started in a baker’s house on Pudding lane, by the time it ended on September 5th it had destroyed most of the city. As part of the rebuilding of London they decide to build a monument to the fire. This monument is 61 meters tall and the only way to the top is a spiral staircase with 311 steps. So Bob and I climbed the steps and got a great view of London. We even got a certificate to prove we made it to the top and back down again. If you come and visit we will be happy to take you there, but we will stay at the bottom. I don’t think I want to climb those stairs again.
The Monument


311 Steps

Tower Bridge from The Monument




After The Monument we visited Tower Bridge. Bridges are my new obsession. They had an exhibit about different bridges around the world. Fun facts I learned. The Thames River used to freeze over in the winter and they had carnivals on it. The London Bridge has been rebuilt several times. An American purchased the London Bridge in 1962 and rebuilt it in Arizona. Tower Bridge wasn’t bombed during World War II because it was used as a landmark. Bridge maintenance is paid for through a trust that was started in 1097. The Trust is now valued at £700 million.


St Mary Axe "The Gherkin" from Tower Bridge

Tower of London from Tower Bridge


To wrap up the weekend, I decided to make tarts. I didn’t have the proper equipment like a scale, spatula, or mixer so they didn’t really turn out very well. I plan on purchasing the correct equipment and giving in another try sometime. So much for my new career as a pastry chef, I feel like I need a class on different types of sugars and crèmes. We also found our “local” this weekend. It is a place called Famous Three Kings. Best of all it has 2 for 1 desserts. Come visit and we will take you there.

Hammie says "Happy Halloween" and "Please help me"




2 comments:

  1. Well, Scott wasn't super blown away by all the London photos, but you got him at "2 for 1 desserts." We're working on the plans! -Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen will make him all of the "World Famous Kristen's Nutella Tarts" he can handle. You can have one too. Believe me its magical!!!

    ReplyDelete