Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dublin


Well not quite recovered from our trip to Normandy and on the road again.  Well guess not literally the road this time but you get the idea.  With Kristen booking flights first thing in the morning and late night returns, I am going to need a vacation from my vacation.  Doubt I am getting much sympathy though.

We landed in Dublin this morning before 9 and it was around 45 with sideways rain blowing straight in our faces.  I was worried of what the rest of the trip might bring.  Luckily conditions improved as the day progressed.

We took it pretty easy but did seem to walk for miles to get wherever were going.  For some reason it really made my feet hurt, much more than the usual.  Anyway, as per usual we visited two churches during the day, Christ Church and St. Patrick's Cathedrals.  Both very impressive and naturally full of history.
Kristen made fun of me because I didn't know who
Strongbow was
The reputed sight where St. Patrick performed Baptisms


These old flags were all over St.
Patrick's.  Completely falling apart.
No clue how long it would take them
to get this bad hanging indoors.

During our tour at Christ Church, we visited the bell house and learned about 'Change Ringing'.  The Church has 19 bells total and the practice for hours on end on Friday nights.  Kristen even got to give it a go.  She just loves showing off her bell ringing skills.
View from the roof of Christ Church

There seemed to be far more American type restaurants here vs. London.  Maybe its because there are not as many other nationalities represented here, but I was fine with it regardless.

I ordered the chicken finger basket, and look at this....

Felt like I had gotten the kid's meal. Reminded me of the time my dad, sister, brother-in-law and I went to Florida.  The waitress dropped off the saddest little chicken fingers and a handfull of fries, ans said here you go.  All I could do was stare, sad and dumbfounded as to what happened.  I think my dad asked her what was up with the food, she said, straight-faced and serious...'Oh I thought you wanted the kid's meal.' I was 19!!  Oh well this was better than a sweetcorn and mayo sandwich any day.  And my nachos for dinner made up for it anyway.

Good to see that they take drunk driving seriously here.  This tester was in a bar but cost a Euro to use.  You put your straw in the hole and blow.  Its three levels of drunkedness before too drunk to drive weren't very reassuring.


1 comment:

  1. How were the Irish nachos?
    Ring those bells Kris!
    Strongbow? Who the hell is Strongbow?

    Val

    ReplyDelete