Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cotswalds


We have now visited the area of the country called the Cotswalds on two separate occasions while we have had friends visiting. Its not the most exciting adventure but there is just a general coolness to everything about it. 
This random tower was built just
recently to look ancient. It just sits
by itself in a field
The Cotswolds are a range of hills in west-central England, famous for....well...I guess just being pretty.  The area is characterised by attractive small towns and villages built of the underlying Cotswold stone, and iconic stone fences that run for miles and miles everywhere you look. And don't forget sheep, there are more sheep than people. Kinda like a little New Zealand stuffed into the middle of England. In the Middle Ages the wool trade made the Cotswolds prosperous. Some of this money was put into the building of churches so the area has a number of large handsome Cotswold stone "wool churches". The area remains affluent and has attracted wealthy people who own second homes in the area. We are not 'those people'.
The path to one of the Wool Churches
Just a really cool door
This was 'downtown' in one of the villages
This door was completely surrounded
by these two trees.  A bit hobbitish!

No question my favorite part is the sheep. I am sure they were very familiar with having people stop on the side of the road and take pictures, but nonetheless I was pretty shocked. They came right up to us and did their sheep stuff, it was great.
Did I say my favorite part was the sheep? Yeah I guess I forgot about the kitchen sink.  I don't really remember if that is what it was called, but it should have been.  Literally, every candy, candy bar, ice cream, and topping all in one.  There was actually some talk that I couldn't finish it....ha!!


No comments:

Post a Comment