Saturday, December 11, 2010

At the Top of the Hill!

Well my last day in my twenties was something special.... ( I feel kinda bad posting this the way it is...I could have literally wrote a book about everything, but its already ridiculously long. Click on the pics to see full-size)

Kristen has covertly planned the whole weekend so all I have been told is what to wear and when to be ready to leave. Lots exciting, little scary.


Full English Breakfast
 Out the door bright an early and a stop off at our little breakfast place, just down the street, right in front of the Tube. Could do without the beans but other than that it is great. Probably my favourite cup of coffee in London.


Bob enjoying his Full English Birthday Breakfast
 Next we set off to the first destination of the day, and while Kristen had been dropping hints, I really had no idea where we were going. Even as we stood smack dab in front of it, I was still unsure, just too many options in the heart of London to pick just one. Turned out we had arrived at our destination at Westminster Abbey. Sorry no cameras allowed inside but got some good pics outside. The internal architecture and monuments is twice as impressive as anything you see outside. I am sorry to say but I really can't describe the inside of the abbey. Just incredible! And maybe most interesting is that it isn't a church in the tradition we are used to but a collection of thousands of monuments and tombs. I have hijacked some info from the web so you can get the feel, but at the end of the day its something you just have to experience.


The original Abbey dates back to appx. 650, and has stood in its current state since 1750, although it has seen numerous restorations since. Its been the home of coronations since 1060. Some of its most famous tombs are to St. Edward, (as well as most of the monarchs and members of the royal families), Geoffrey Chaucer, T.S Eliot, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Oliver Cromwell, Isaac Newton, and Charles Darwin. The list could literally go on for days.





































Next surprise was a tour of Stamford Bridge, home of Chelsea Football club. The Stadium itself is less than a mile from our flat so Kristen decided they would be our team. Its kinda like living in the shadow of Giants Stadium or Wrigley Field I guess. I doubt there are many soccer fans out reading this so I will keep the stories to myself and just share some pics.


















Since there is not much sun in London and the stands block most what sun does shine through they grow their grass with artificial light. Needless to say they don't practice here either.


Stopped off at an place called Bodeans on the way home for some good 'ol American bbq. Now I wouldn't say it was the best I had ever had but compared to some of the things I have been forcing down it was like apple pie.








A short break at home and we headed back out for another surprise. At this point I was getting a little anxious with all the surprises and lack of information, but in retrospect should have just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Kristen had booked us for a flight on/in the London Eye. One any other day I would have been blown away by the sights but after the first two stops today it was just par for the course. I have to say the pods are a little unnerving, but it was more than worth it.















Last stop of the day was a new place for us called Ping Pong. A Dim Sum Restaurant right near the eye. Since we were Dim Sum virgins Kristen had ordered a three course meal ahead of time. It turned out to be more like a five course meal, but they were little courses so it was all good. The best way I can explain it is that Dim Sum is all appetizers. Small dishes so its almost like you got the sampler meal at Chili's when you are done. A little bit of a lot of good stuff. Except for the chili chocolate mouse and the mango gelato, stay away from those. I do suggest everyone to try and make the grape and champagne cocktail. Was like candy. Kristen highly recommends it and would have drank a Route 44 full if she could.








End of the day it was all pretty amazing. Can't imagine what she has cooked up for my actual birthday. Gotta say I am a lucky guy and she is an amazing girl.

Dead tired but going to get a quick ride in on the trainer. We are leaving before sun up tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. "FavoUrite." Nice! Not quite sure what you've done to deserve Kristin, but you'd better be treating that girl right! sounds like a hell of a birthday week-end! (wait - did you ride 100 miles, by any chance....?) -Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah no way I could convince 20 people to spend 6 hours with me. Not quite sure how I even convinced Kristen to hang out with me

    ReplyDelete