Thursday, October 11, 2012

What makes America great

I've been home for almost a month now and have to say its been really nice. Sure there are things about London that I miss but overall I gotta give the nod to the US.

Of course there is the obvious stuff like friends and family, but for me there has been a bunch of things that have really taken me by surprise, but now not sure how we managed before.

The first thing that really struck me was appliances. The size and speed is just amazing. While lucky enough to have had a dishwasher we had to do a load probably every other day, I think that ours here could have almost washed every dish we owned in London at the same time.

Even more of a change is the washer/dryer. In London a load of towels couldn't consist of more than three, and would take at least 3 hora to wash and get almost dry. Add I'm the hanging to finish drying and your talking a full day. I can barely keep up with the washer and dryer here. He'll folding and putting things away is probably the one thing holding up the process.

When it comes down to it, it is all the things that you HAVE to do that you really see a difference. It's just so much easier to live here. I knocked out a trip the the dry cleaners, grocery store, and Home Depot in just over an hour yesterday, the same tasks likely would have taken three separate trips and at least a half a day in London. Not to mention that the grocery store is just amazing. Yeah some things are more expensive, and I am sure the fresh, fruit & veg, and meat and cheese selections don't stack up but the selection of everything else is just amazing. All the things we missed are at hand and ours for the picking.
And them there is the mornings......a cup of coffee and sitting on the back porch in the morning is just about perfect. Blue skies and peace and quite (except for Hampton and Windor's daily game of tag and wrestle) it's fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment