Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Shawshank Redemption

I just finished watching the Shawshank Redemption for what has to be at least the 100th time.  And I don't mean that it was just on the TV in the background while I was doing my taxes or reading the newspaper, I mean actually watched it.  It has to be one of a very few movies that I can stand to watch more than a couple of times.  In that category with Braveheart, Apollo 13, Star Wars IV-VI, Tin Cup and Christmas Vacation.
 I got to thinking what about it makes it interesting time and again.  All the others have something that I could point to.......epic fight scenes, an incredible true story, comedy and golf ('you just threw that in the spa').  I can't quite figure out what draws me in.  Maybe I am the only one, but I doubt it.  My only thought is that deep down we all see a little bit of Andy Dufresne in ourselves.  That everyone wants to believe that with all the little things they have to put up with in life it will all turnout in the end.  While our 500 yards of shit is only figurative, we all dream about that beach and blue water of Zihuatanejo, and living out our days without a care in the world.  
If there is a better answer I don't know what it is.  If you have never seen it or haven't watched it in awhile, do yourself a favor and write yourself a reminder.  

Hell maybe I just have a thing for Morgan Freeman's voice??


No comments:

Post a Comment